Site Reliability Engineering
Citymapper engineers come from diverse backgrounds: startups, big tech companies, and even those that have never worked anywhere before. Some come with letters after their name like “PhD” or from backgrounds in things like astrophysics; some come with no formal engineering education or from backgrounds in veterinarian compliance. In our small team, we represent more than a dozen countries and languages. What unites us in an intense desire to create the best products, data and tools to help people move around complex cities. We breathe, eat, sleep, and dream mobility and cities from the algorithms to the data to the tools that make the data. Check out our blog at engineering.citymapper.com.
Citymapper aims to provide the best transit results. For that we ingest large amounts of data and our servers handle mazillions of requests. Our users depend on us for fast, real-time information about their city.
We're looking for a software or systems engineer that can see the challenge and joy of designing, implementing and operating sharp foundational tools, like automated deployment systems, monitoring and logging services, load balancers, caching services, databases, deep health-checkers, web crawling services, you name it.
We use AWS, Python, Golang, SaltStack, Ansible and a few other things.
Together with our development teams, you will be -
- Managing & automating code releases
- Measuring everything - taking responsibility for monitoring, stats & alarming
- Authoring Documentation & Runbooks, reducing organisational silos
- Triaging incidents & delivering solutions
- Taking part in our OnCall rotation
- Shipping blameless postmortems
You will work with both the cities and SmartRide engineering team. There are opportunities to be involved with other parts of data engineering including pipeline, analytics and intelligence.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Previous experience in running large software deployments in the cloud. (preferably AWS)
- Previous experience in software development in one of: Python, Golang, Java/C#, C/C++
- Familiarity and willingness to work with Python
- Can work independently and willing to take on new challenges.
Competitive pay, equity / stock options, and various startup perks like food and travel.